Sunday, March 11, 2012

Finding Out

Dr. Le told us that we should not take a pregnancy test until Friday, February 3rd. I knew I had a big day with my students that day, so we decided to wait until Saturday to take a home pregnancy test, that way we could also be together when we found out. Yep, that WAS the plan. LOL. But of course I got impatient and took a test the first morning the box said I could...Wednesday morning. I woke up early and took the test. The horizontal line was bold, but the vertical line (to make it a plus sign) was hardly there. It was there, but very faint. I just shrugged and figured it was too early. I didn't think much of it during the day, but Zac texted me at one point in the morning and told me he was sad and disappointed. Later he called me and said he had called EPT to ask about the faint line. The customer service worker told him not to give up...that if I'm not pregnant, there shouldn't be a vertical line at all. When he told me this, I didn't think much more about the results...just that I thought it was precious that he took the time to call EPT. :) I had a training after school that day, so I got home late. Without planning it out, or thinking about it in advance, I took another test. Zac walked through the front door right when the three minutes was up, and I called him into the bathroom. This is the beautiful sight we saw...

We hugged until we cried (Okay, I cried. Not sure about the mister.), then went out to eat to celebrate. (Matt's Rancho Martinez, in Cedar Hill was the celebratory restaurant). It was an exciting night, but it still seemed to good to be true. Thursday morning I took another test, just to make sure it was real. Yep...still pregnant! :) Even though I wasn't supposed to test until Friday, I went ahead and called Dr. Le's office and told them that I'd taken a few home tests that showed a precious plus sign. She said I could go ahead and get blood work done, so I drove to Mansfield on my conference period. When the woman was checking me in, she said "congratulations Mama!" I told her we weren't certain yet, and she winked at me and said "I think you are!" That was before I'd even had my blood work, and I know she was a random stranger, but I'll never forget how sweet it was to hear someone call me mama. :) Knowing I wouldn't get results until sometime Friday, and still certain that I couldn't have possibly gotten pregnant the very first month, I took another test Thursday night. (another pretty plus sign!!) Friday morning, I had one test left, so I thought "what the heck...hopefully this is real and I won't need it anyways...might as well use it!" It showed a plus sign, but even after five home tests, I still wasn't going to be totally satisfied and convinced until the doctor's office called me. It happened around 10:30am. I was at the high school, for a Special Olympics basketball practice, so when I saw who was calling, I ran to the nearest door, and slipped out into the quiet hall. The nurse's voice was perky and congratulatory. She was so excited for me...you would've thought we'd been friends for years! :) She said my hCG level was at 71, and I was definitely pregnant. MUSIC TO MY EARS!! When I hung up with her, I stood alone in the hall, just geeking out. When I composed myself, I called Zac and shared the good news with him. He was relieved to hear it. He said he thought we were preggers, but the confirmation was a relief. We made a quick (and last minute) plan to head to Austin to surprise our families with the news, then hung up and went about our day. I wanted to scream "I'm PREGNANT!!!!" when I walked back into the gym, but of course I didn't. But I'm pretty sure the HUGE smile on my face didn't leave for the rest of the day. :) And every since that day, I've been smiling.

2 comments:

Amy F said...

What a great story!!! Thank you for sharing it!

Karla said...

Aaaannnd I got tears in my eyes here. I remember the exact feeling of the nurse calling me (it only took one round of Clomid for me, too) and being in disbelief until I had her confirmation.

I feel as excited for you as if this just happened today! Haha