Sunday, March 11, 2012

Start spreading the news...

Part of the fun of finding out we were preggers, was sharing the news with those we love. We had so many people rooting for us, and cheering us on, and they felt invested and as much a part of our journey as we did.
Zac and I decided to head to Austin on that Friday (that we found out for sure) to tell our families in person. Knowing that we would not get to see her for awhile, the first person we told was my sister, by phone. She is pregnant, and due in April, so we thought it was cool that her youngest, and our oldest would be only five months apart!
We called my dad and told him we were coming to town, but wanted to surprise Mom. He had no clue what we were up to, but helped arrange a dinner in Round Rock. When we got to "Homefield Grill," my mom and dad were waiting for a table. Mom was so shocked and happy when she saw us walk up. We shared lots of hugs, and told her it'd been a long week (which technically wasn't a lie, since all the anticipation and excitement was a lot) so we wanted to come spend the weekend with them. I had told my mother that we wouldn't get to find anything out until Sunday, and she admitted to me later that when we arrived, she thought 'oh good...now they will be here when we get to find out if she's pregnant!' When we were seated, the waitress took our drink orders, then disappeared, so we pounced on the moment alone to share the good news. Except, it kind of flopped. I said "well, we have some news to share with y'all about Molly." I had their attention, and knew it was going to be awesome. I went on..."Molly is going to be a big sister!" I waited for the shrieks of jubilation, but nothing came but blank stares. I was confused and staring back, until Zac said "a human baby!" at the same time I finally blurted out "I'm PREGNANT!" We laughed and cried and got up and hugged all over again, then laughed some more. Papa had thought we were getting another dog, and mom said she was thinking 'I thought Molly's mom and dad, Susie and Elvis, were both dead? How is Molly going to be a big sister?' We laughed about botching the big news, but it was such a joyful dinner. ;)
The next evening, Eli had rounded up ALL of the Oldhams to meet for dinner at El Arroyo. (Zac ate there on our wedding day, and claims he plans on eating there every time he has an important event in his life.)  Everyone was already seated when we got there, so just us showing up was excitement enough. They stood to hug us, and as everyone had sat down (and Zac and I were still standing) I said "Well, we had to come, to tell you the good news in person!" Of course, I didn't even need to say more before everyone stood up again and we hugged and smiled and shared the special moment. The rest of the night we were on a high.

No comments: