Thursday, January 7, 2016

New Year, New Goals

I like making resolutions. I always think of the new year as a time to reevaluate what I can do better, and how I can improve myself. A few years ago I made four resolutions and kept every single one. That was a powerful thing for me, and I hope to do the same this year, since I have several again. Although they're a very personal thing (for me, at least) sharing them helps me with accountability, so here they are:

1. Eat better. Fresher, healthier, home cooked, try new things, etc. If I do it, the whole family will. Part of my goal is to ensure the boys eat well, so I need to take responsibility and lead us to "greener" pastures. (I'm so funny, right?)
2. Exercise regularly. Sigh. This is a constant battle for me. After Drew was born, I got to a point where I LOVED exercising. If I skipped going to the gym, I actually missed it. I liked the way it made me feel physically, and the way it made me feel mentally. It's hard to remember that feeling, because the thought of working out sounds dreadful right now, but I know if I stick with it, I'll get back to that. (hopefully!) I want to exercise so that I can keep up with my boys now, and in the future. I want to strengthen my joints and muscles and bone density. I want to be the healthiest version of myself I can possibly be. God only gave me one body, and I need to take care of it the way He wants me to.
3. No. More. Sodas. This is such a hard one for me. I've given up cokes many times (almost every Lent season since High School) and then I ALWAYS start drinking them again. Why do I do that? I know I am truly and actually addicted to them. These last seven days I have felt grumpy and irritable, had headaches, and have been craving one so badly. I haven't given in, and it's been a week, so surely I can keep it up. I'm hoping to abandon sodas FOREVER this time though. (which silly as it sounds, makes me sad. I love cokes!)
4. I want to spend money more responsibly. I've been so bad at thinking of something I want and ordering it on my Amazon app all within the same minute. I want to pay off debts (student loans, cars, etc) and can't get ahead if I'm constantly spending the money we have. I hope to have a larger savings account by the end of the year, and I want to be proud of the way I handle our money.

1 comment:

Amy F said...

Oh man - goals 1 and 2 for sure. Why is it so much harder after the second baby? I just don't care enough to make a big effort, but I know I need to. I wish that January was warmer so that it was easier to exercise! Good luck with your resolutions!