Monday, January 9, 2012

Very Proactive

Okay, I tried to write this post without being too graphic, but the truth is, conception is very scientific. If you don't want to know about my cycle, biology, etc, you might not want to read this post. :)
Well, we had our first appointment with Dr. Le today, and it was quite overwhelming. Very informative, but LOTS to take in. I think I'm STILL absorbing everything he told us. It started out pretty scary, with him discussing how scar tissue from all of my previous abdominal surgeries could prevent my f-tube from being able to collect the egg. I felt tears coming to my eyes, and Zac told me later he felt like he got punched in the gut. Luckily, we moved on, and the rest of the appointment was much more positive and optimistic. We mapped out a plan of action, and it seemed too perfect that I went to him on the day I did. When we started talking, he said something about "on day three we will..." and I said "well, I'm actually on day three right now!" He looked at the calendar, agreed, and we were able to start the ball rolling today at the 'consultation' appointment! I had a baseline sonogram, and Dr. Le was very excited to report I have "the perfect uterus!" LOL...I bet he said it five different times! I've been bragging about it all night. Zac's been teasing me, calling me "pug" (perfect uterus girl) I told him "sorry that I'm excited that ONE of my body-parts is perfect! No doctor has EVER said anything about me was perfect!" Haha! So that was a relief, and then when he saw the location of my ovaries, he was very pleased with that as well. (He'd been afraid that they might me too low or high, misplaced because of things moving around during surgery.) He then told me that he hoped to see 8-10 eggs in each ovary. Again, I exceeded expectations, and he got very excited. I had TWELVE (yep, a dozen eggs!) in each basket...I mean ovary. He said "wow...you could be an egg donor!" So after the sonogram, we were in a very good mood! I'm happy to hear that so far, everything looks good. I will start on Clomid tomorrow, and take it for just five days. (Don't worry-we asked, and Clomid only has an 8% chance of causing multiple births.) Friday I will have an HSG (dye test) to check my fallopian tubes and uterus. One cool thing about that, is that I've heard from so many people (including Dr. Le) that this test alone often helps couples get pregnant. Something about the way it flushed everything out and makes the tubes and uterus more likely to implant the follicle. Next Wednesday I will have a mid-cycle sonogram to look for a mature follicle. On this day I will also get an HCG injection. HCG is the same thing as LH, the lutenizing hormone, and this causes ovulation. The next few days will be the days we "try," and then I'll go for blood work to check my progesterone levels the following Thursday or Friday. You might be wondering...why the clomid and HCG and progesterone? The doc explained to us that stress can cause your brain and endocrine system to not send out the hormones your body needs to get pregnant. If you are stressed, it's easier to survive without a child, so nature makes it almost impossible to get pregnant. These hormones are natural for conception, taking them just helps ensure things are as ideal as possible, to increase the likelihood of pregnancy. Of course Dr. Le explains it so much better than I do! I told Zac three times "I wish I had recorded our appointment!" It was just soo much info to take in, and I would love to be able to listen to his words and explanations over and over. Also, I can't retell it the way he does. We are so lucky to have so many people praying for us and rooting for us to become parents. I felt blessed leaving the office, when I was thinking of all the people I wanted to update about the appointment. I only called a couple people, but this blog is serving as a liaison to inform the rest of you kind people who care. Thanks for taking an interest in our journey to parenthood. As I look at the URL of my blog, I'm quite content with the name I chose....Julia's Miracle. Because this baby will be nothing short of a miracle, and I can't wait to experience that! :)

No comments: