Sunday, July 22, 2012

parents week

We had an amazing week with my parents here. They came in Saturday June 30th, and left Friday, July 6th. We made tons of major (and some minor) improvements around the house, and had lots of fun too. Oh, and we ate out A LOT! :) Here is a day by day rundown of our week...


saturday
They arrived in the afternoon, hauling a trailer with Drew's new dresser, play chest, a plant a friend sent to Baw's funeral, and lots of Papa's tools. We unloaded the truck and trailer and then returned the trailer to the U-Haul place. We hung out at the house for a bit and discussed some of the upcoming projects, then headed to Mansfield for dinner at Suzy Q's It's an old fashioned place, with Soda Jerks and oldies music, and the world's best cheese fries and coke floats! :) It's attached to an apothecary/pharmacy and gift shop. We all loved our food and left quite satisfied.

sunday
Papa and Zac and I made a Home Depot run early in the morning to get our supplies for the week. The first project was putting in a new kitchen sink. We had to buy a new sink, and ended up finding a great one, with all the accessories (faucet, drains, stoppers, etc) included. We went ahead and bought stuff for the other projects too, but I'll talk about those later. :) The guys started working on the sink as soon as we got home. Since the ktichen was in disarray, we ordered pizza for lunch from Mr. Jim's. They finished the sink in the afternoon, and at about 4:30, we left for the Rangers game. We had all been pretty worried about the heat, but it turned out to be in the low 80's the entire game! Isn't that crazy? Yu Darvish pitched (which was a big deal) and he did well, but the Rangers still lost. But we had a lot of fun, and Drew kicked like crazy. But maybe that was because of the cotton candy? :)

monday
Monday morning the boys started on the bead board. Mom and I cruised around town and stopped by a quilt shop, a resale shop, and a pawn shop, looking for old vintage type decor for Drew's room. We didn't have much luck, but had fun looking. Before we came home for lunch, we stopped and got four slices of Buttermilk Pie from a restaurant downtown. The guys were very excited about our yummy dessert after our sandwich lunches. :) In the afternoon, I took mom to my doctor's office to get her ears looked at. She had a cold a few weeks prior and hadn't been hearing well since then. Good thing we went, because it turned out she had a double ear infection! What a trooper! I also got a B-12 shot while we were there. My new Dallas colon surgeon, and my OB agreed that I needed to continue getting them through pregnancy, especially to help with iron absorption. For dinner we took mom and pops to Oma's Jiffy Burger. It's a local burger place that is SO delicious! Another productive day!

tuesday
The boys finished the bead board on Monday, and were going to be painting it, as well as the base boards and chair railing, and all the trim in the room today. Mom and I didn't want to be around the smell, so we dashed off to see Magic Mike. :) It was okay, not great, but we were glad we went. The guys finished up all the painting and I took a nice long afternoon nap. My cousin Amy Bert came over around 6 and we went to Tuscan Slice for a delicious dinner. My dad loves the pepperoni rolls there. Only 5 come per order, and I bet we got 4 orders! haha! I guess between five people that's not that bad though, right? :) When we got home, we set up some lawn chairs and blankets in the front yard and watched the city fireworks show from the comfort of our own yard. :) Amy had made a patriotic cake and we had cake and ice cream and celebrated the 4th of July (even though it was really only the 3rd. Hah!).

wednesday
The boys did some finishing touches on the nursery this morning, then we headed to lunch at Fuzzy's Tacos. My parents had heard us rave about it, so we were excited to take them. They liked it as much as we do! After lunch we made a stop at Home Depot (we went there A LOT this week!) then headed home. The boys got back to work around the house, and mom and I slipped away to Northpark Mall. It's the nicest mall in the area (at least in my opinion!) and mom had been there with me before, after my 11 week sonogram. I was able to get all of my hostess gifts for my upcoming showers, as well as some cute stationary from Paper Source. (Gosh, I could easily and quickly spend $500 in that store, without blinking an eye!) Mom bought some stuff at H&M. Needless to say, it was a very successful shopping trip. When we got home, the guys were playing washers in the front yard, and Zac (jokingly) freaked out when he saw how many shopping bags we pulled out of the backseat of the car! :) For dinner we ate at home, as my precious friend Vickie had made us a large casserole after Baw passed away. It was so nice to eat at home without having to cook or clean much. We just took the casserole out of the freezer and put it in the over! :) After dinner we played Mexican Dominoes. We used to play with my parents all the time (when we lived in Seguin and Burnet, and we'd go to Austin almost every weekend), so it was fun to play again! :)

thursday
Zac had to go to a work meeting, so Papa started replacing the faucet and drain in our master bathroom sink. When Zac got home from his meeting we went to lunch at Lighthouse Cafe, then mom and I headed to Target and Babies-R-Us to tweak my registries. We planned on spending about 20 minutes in B-R-Us, but stayed close to two hours. I completely changed which stroller and car seat I wanted to go with, and we spent a lot of time playing with different options, collapsing and lifting the strollers, and figuring out which ones were best. I'm so glad we did though! Even though I like the looks of the one I'd originally registered for (Chicco), the Britax stroller (my new choice) is so much easier to collapse and lift, and when I'm by myself with Drew, especially after a c-section, I definitely want it to be convenient to run errands and get the stroller in and out of the trunk. When we were on our way home from shopping, the carpet company called and said they'd received our carpet in, and would we like for them to come install it on Friday. Not realizing all that entailed, I said sure. So when we got home, we had to do lots of packing and shuffling and rearranging, so the carpet company could move furniture and get everything out of the rooms. It was a little bit stressful, but I'm glad my folks were here to help! For dinner, we met out friend Bez at Ojeda's in DeSoto. Another great day!

friday
The carpet people were suppoesd to be at our house around 9. Of course we had to be gone, so we had planned on eating breakfast in Mansfield at Joe's Family Diner, then going to a movie. It was closer to 10:30 when they finally showed up (ugh!), so it was more like a brunch. I think everyone liked their food though, so that's good! After brunch we headed to see a movie, but since we had some time to kill, the boys dropped me and mom off at Home Goods! Thank goodness they did, because I ended up finding an old wooden car, a metal airplane, some wall hooks, and a large piece of art, all for Drew's nursery! :) It was a one stop shop...I think I have everthing I was hoping for now. I'm sure I'll find some more things that I want to add, but at least I have all the items that I envisioned and "needed." :) After the quick (but awesome!) shopping spree, mom and I met the guys at the movie theater and saw "Savages." It was a little intense for me (parts of it made me close my eyes and cover my ears), but it was a pretty good movie! When we got home, the carpet people were gone and we had new beautiful carpet! :) Mom and Pops helped us carry some stuff back inside from the garage, then packed up to head back to Austin. It was such an awesome week, and we are so extremely grateful for all of their help! Not only was it a productive work week, but it was great to get to visit so much. This pregnancy is such a special time, and sharing all the excitement with family and friends makes it even sweeter. I love my parents so much, and I'm so thankful they are mine! :)

1 comment:

Amy F said...

Your parents are amazing! Please post pics or video of drew's room!