Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Three weeks

Drew was three weeks old Monday! I can't believe that today is already day number 23 that I've known him! Time flies! Not too too much has changed in the last week, but here are a few updates:

SLEEP
He's been quite fussy and gassy. Poor guy! He went from making a dirty diaper every three hours to doing it only once or twice a day, and I think it's been a little painful and uncomfortable for him. He will be relaxing or falling asleep and then he'll start to squirm and kick his legs and fuss. His entire head turns red and his veins pop to the surface and he screams. An open mouth, tongue flexed scream. It's heartbreaking! I feel so bad for him! It's gotten a little bit better since we switched formula, so hopefully it will continue to improve. I did call the doctor and he said it's normal to go less often, and when his body gets used to it, he shouldn't be as uncomfortable. I hope that's sooner rather than later. He's still so sweet and cuddly though. It's impossible to be frustrated when he's crying, because we just feel so bad for him. Last night was the worst it's been yet. He started feeling bad around 8:30pm, and it didn't stop until almost 1am! We tried everything (and I do mean everything), but the one thing we couldn't do was relieve his tummy ache. When we were silently driving around the city at midnight, I felt like I was having one of those surreal movie moments. 'Zac and I are driving around our baby to get him to fall asleep...this is like in the movies.' Except when we got home he woke up and it started again. Bless his heart.
Thankfully we both got a long nap this morning. Poor Zac didn't, but I plan on encouraging him to nap as soon as he gets home around 4:30 this afternoon. I feel kind of bad about it, but the last several days have been so pleasant and smooth. I've napped with him in the morning, then fed him and he falls back to sleep again. So I eat lunch and clean bottles and whatnot, then get ready for some outings, and go run errands, all before he wakes up again. It's been really nice. I wish Zac got to enjoy more of the "easy" time, the evenings are always kind of rough. He makes the most of their time together though, and talks to him, reads to him, and they spend all sorts of quality time together. Yesterday they got a quick chest-to-chest nap in the recliner! :)
EATING
Drew is eating up to 4 ounces at a time now. He usually eats every 3 hours or so, but now that he is occasionally eating more, sometimes he goes longer in between feedings. Tuesday night he slept six hours without waking up. Zac was excited, but I almost had a heart attack. lol! As soon as I realized he was okay, I was fine. But for a sec I thought something had to be wrong for him to go that long without being hungry or waking up. :)
After lots and lots of deliberation and pain-staking decision making, I've decided to quit pumping. I was producing about one ounce (one measly ounce!) every 24 hours, (pumping for 15-20 minutes every 3 hours) and I didn't feel like it was worth it. If I could have been giving him more, I think I would have stuck with it longer, but to get one cumulative ounce (from both sides, from multiple pumpings), it hardly seemed logical to keep doing it. As I've said, I do not feel guilty about feeding him formula at all. I'm sad that true breastfeeding did not work out (he latches on, I hold him, we bond, no dishes, etc), but I am not sad that I'm not pumping anymore. Hard to bond with two pieces of plastic.I feel a little relieved to not be in nursing limbo anymore, although, as I said, what I'm sad about is not discontinuing pumping, but the ability to feed him directly, which never worked anyways, and still wouldn't have, no matter how long I pumped. In fact, we were using Avent bottles and had to get a different brand, because the nipples are too large and hard for him to suck out of. Little dude has a very clenched jaw (one reason nursing never worked), and was spilling more than he was swallowing. Plus those bottles made him so out of breath while he was eating, that I have to wonder if that's been part of the gas problem, because he was gasping/inhaling large amounts of air while eating. Who knows?
Let me finish by saying that he is still making the cutest faces. He is even smiling a whole lot more. It's precious! He's alert a lot more often and looks around and seems to really take things in. I could stare at him all day long. Oh wait...I do! :)

***Again, I know everyone has differing opinions on formula vs. breastmilk. I am just sharing my own thoughts on my personal blog. Thanks for being considerate! 

2 comments:

Mel and Nancy said...

Julia, Formula is more than fine. I was a formula baby and look how good I turned out! LOL. I know you are having such fun with Drew- and hope his gassy tummy will stop soon. Also hope he continues to sleep 6 hours or more- Love to you and your family!

Amy F said...

Thanksgiving is coming soon! Then hopefully Zac can enjoy the 'easy' time!