Thursday, August 30, 2012

33wks Sono and Doc appt

Tuesday I had a doctor appointment and my last scheduled 4-D sonogram. (I suppose I could have another sono, but it would be because the doctor ordered it, not just for leisure.) Both the sonogram and the appointment went very very well, and I left a super giddy girl. I've been so lucky that Zac got to go to most of my appointments with me. He didn't want to miss any of the early ones, plus his old boss encouraged him to go. Then most of my pregnancy was over the summer and he was off work, so naturally he attended all of those. So I think yesterday was only the second or third appointment I went to alone. (Mom accompanied me once, and Ramsi once.) I didn't mind being alone, but during the sono, I was wishing someone else was with me to see how incredibly cute Drew is. :) 

Erin, my sonographer kept saying how "content" he looked. He was a happy camper, just living the life. His body had turned, so his head is now down low, in the "correct birthing position." Of course this doesn't matter much, since I'm having cesarean, but it might have been why we got such great pictures. :) He had a full tummy and bladder (I love seeing those black circles on the screen...I think it's so cool to see that he's already doing stuff he'll need to be doing on the 'outside.') She measured his skull and femur and he's currently 4 pounds and 8 ounces. She pulled up a little chart and he's in the 30th percentile, so not too big or too small, just average. He's projected to weigh in the high sixes, or a low seven pounds at birth. His heart rate was 146. Now for the fun stuff: he still LOVES having his hands near his face. In the 20 minutes I got to watch him, he rubbed his eyes, sucked on his fist, held onto his nose and chin, and just played a lot with his hands near his face. Precious! He opened and closed his eyes a lot, and that was really neat to see. We saw a huge smile once, and I felt a hot tear roll down my cheek. It might sound weird, but it's almost a little painful to watch these sonograms, because he feels so close, yet SO far away! :) I can't wait to hold him and meet him and kiss him and learn him! I do already know he likes to suck! His bottom jaw and lips were constantly moving and sucking, whether there was a fist nearby or not. I think he will like a pacifier...if he's not already addicted to his thumb. He sucked his thumb a lot too.
Hand rubbing eyes

"he looks so content"

more hands in the face..."hey mom, I found my chin!"

profile shot of him sucking away

After the sono was my appointment, which was also great. I saw one of my doctor's partners for the first time, and REALLY liked him a lot. (He's actually the doctor I originally wanted, who has an amazing reputation in Dallas, but he had a loooong wait time to get in with him, and I was already pregnant when I was ready to be seen, so I chose my doc instead...who also had good ratings and has been wonderful.) When Dr. Harris walked in, he gave me the biggest smile and said it was SO NICE to FINALLY meet me. I was a little confused, and then he said he opened my file to look over it, and couldn't put it down because I had a 'very interesting background,' obviously referring to my medical history. :) He asked if we were planning a c-section and when I told him yes, he smiled and said "that's the way to go." In fact, he had just (in the past month) performed a second c-section on a woman with a j-pouch (that's what I have!) and it went great. He warned me that the small bowel is slow to wake up after surgery, so when I start eating, do so slowly, to avoid nausea. I hadn't thought about it yet, but it makes perfect sense, so I was so glad he gave me this little heads up. :) I really really liked this doctor a lot! He kept telling me how healthy I look, and how my physical appearance didn't match my medical history, and how everything is on target, and I've done a great job of nourishing my baby, and all these other nice encouraging words. He seemed truly honored to meet little-old-me, and made me feel so special. I love my doctor so much, but I totally wouldn't be bummed if this guy ended up doing my delivery. :) Sidenote- He went to UT and loves Austin and the longhorns! :) Actually, I've interacted with 3 of the 4 doctors in the practice and been impressed by all of them. And I'm a girl who knows how to judge a doctor, haha! The 4th doctor (whom I haven't met) is one of my friends' OB, whom she adores, so I know I'd probably like him too! I am so pleased with the practice I chose! :) If anyone out there reading this is looking for a doctor in Dallas, let me know!
Also-I did't have any protein in my urine and my BP was 108/60, so no signs of preeclampsia! Yay!

1 comment:

Linda said...

A great post! Love the pictures, the description, the emotion, the sweetness, the cuteness and the LOVE!