Friday, August 10, 2012

Ahoy, Baby!

This weekend my sister Liz, sister-in-law Tatem, and dear friend Breck hosted a beautiful nautical themed shower for me. It was tasty, beautiful, fun, and well-attended. There was excitement in the air, and I had to keep telling myself to pause and take mental notes and mental pictures, just to soak it all in. Like a wedding, it can be almost overwhelming to think that everyone is there for you, and you're the center of attention. But it's the best kind of overwhelming...a high that's not easily reproduced. How did I get so lucky to have such amazing friends and family? Drew already has a whole village of people who love him, just because they love his mom and dad. What an amazing feeling for me to know my boy is so supported. The crowd was made up of new friends, college friends, high school friends, family, childhood friends, and friends of my mom's. It was neat to see all of these ladies who are so important to me in the same room. Girls I grew up going to church with, a friend whom I met just a year ago, but share a deep bond with, because we've been through the same surgery, friends from high school, and past jobs. Reflecting later that night, I realized how truly blessed I am that my mom has such an amazing network of friends, women who are second moms to me. I grew up with their kids as my own friends, and now Drew will be raised around their children! Three generations of deep, devoted, friendship. It's not common, and it's not taken for granted. I'm so grateful for all of these people in my life!!! And while I may not see them as often as I wish, they are there through it all, and make sure to show up at the right times...whether I'm 16 in the hospital, 21 and marrying the love of my life, or 29 and finally having a baby. The amount of love and support was palpable, and I'll never forget those precious hours. Thank you to my awesome hostesses for all of their work, putting effort into even the littlest details, and their neverending thoughtfulness. Here are some pictures from the pinterest worthy event...

the invite...
the hostesses...

cards that guests completed..."wishes for baby Drew"
I truly enjoyed reading these, laughing and crying at my friend's hopes for my son.
 the cupcakes...yummy and cute!
  the napkins/utencils had rafia and life savers decorating them...such a cute touch!
 Zac came at the end to say hello and help load the car.
It was such a wonderful day, and words can't express how much I loved it. Thanks again to all of my family and friends who have made me feel so special throughout this very special time in my life! :) How many girls get three AMAZING baby showers? And, I still have one more to come! WOW!

2 comments:

Sarah B. said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
And I can't believe your 29! I still tend to think the "Fab Five" are teenagers. :)

Amy F said...

So happy for you and Zac! Baby showers are magical!