Monday, August 20, 2012

Some Saturday....

Yesterday started out the perfect Saturday. I  woke up with pancakes on my mind, so I made pancakes and homemade syrup and then Zac and I did some work around the house. We ate lunch and then laid down for a long nap. When I got up, I FaceTime'd with my Aunt Nancy and Granny. We talked for quite a while, and towards the end of the chat I noticed that my vision got blurry. I figured it was staring at the computer for so long, and didn't think much of it. We had dinner plans with Chris and Stacy, so I jumped in the shower. While I was in the shower, I had a nagging feeling that something was wrong. My heart felt like it was having to work hard...seemed like it was racing. I contemplated cancelling our dinner plans, then decided 'well at least if something is wrong, we will already be in Dallas!?' My vision was still blurry as I got ready, but it seemed to be a little better, so I thought it would go away.
After being at the restaurant for about 20 minutes, my vision got so blurred I could not even read the menu. I went to the restroom and felt so disoriented because I could make out tables and shapes, but couldn't see faces or clothes patterns or anything like that. I took my contacts out and put my glasses on (to see if that would help), but it didn't make a difference. Shortly later, I felt my heart going crazy again. I saw a Walgreens across the street and decided to go check my blood pressure after dinner. They didn't have one of those machines that you sit down in, but the pharmacist took it for me. My blood pressure is usually about 100/60. Even being pregnant, it's stayed around 110/65. Last night my BP was 151/90. The pharmacist went and got a different cuff, just to be sure, and took it again. Same result. He said we should probably call our doctor and let him know. We said bye to Chris and Stacy and called the doctor. One of my doctor's partner's was on call for the weekend and he was so kind. He wanted me to go to Baylor (our hospital) for observation. Luckily, we were just blocks away. Anyways, when we got there they took me to a labor and delivery room. This was not shocking to me, but Zac said it all became very real and surreal when we walked into that room, with the little baby warmer and hospital bed and all. I had to put on a gown and hospital bracelet, but didn't feel scared. I knew that Drew would not be coming today, at worst I thought they might keep me overnight for observation. Fortunately, I was there just about an hour. I did not have any protein in my urine (a sign on preeclampsia), which was a big relief. They put a BP cuff on me that went off every five minutes. My bp had gone down and stayed around 125/65 the whole time I was there. My vision was getting better and we were so tired, so when the nurse asked if we wanted to head home, we said yes! She gave us some paperwork and a lengthy explanation of what to look for in the future, and sent us on our way. The doctor called me after we left the hospital to ask if I had any questions, and reiterated that if I start feeling this way again, to call the office. I was very impressed with how thoughtful and attentive he was. I'm so glad that all of the doctors (there are 4) in my OB's practice are so amazing!
Today on the way home from church, the doctor called again! He wanted to know how I felt and again said that if I started getting headaches, blurred vision, swelling, weight gain, feel my heart racing, or any other unusual activity, I should go to a local fire station to get my blood pressure checked. If it is above 150, I am to call the office. If it's during office hours, I will go there for observation, but if it's evening or weekend, I will head back to Baylor to be checked out. Once a woman has high blood pressure once during pregnancy, she's more likely to have it again.
We were tired last night, but relieved that it was just a "scare." It did make us want to be more prepared though, just in case. We will spend this week doing some more work around the house and getting things in order. I hope and pray that he doesn't come too early, but for some reason, I have a strong feeling that his birthday will be before October 8th. Who knows. I'm just putting my faith and trust in the Lord that He will take care of my and my little one. :)

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so glad that everything is ok. Your doctors sound wonderful! Try to take it easy sweetie, and as I've said for awhile, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!!! HA HA HA!!!

I love you!

Sarah B. said...

Take care of yourself! Glad your doctors are so great!

Love,
Sarah

Amy F said...

So glad you are ok! Hurray for doctors and hospitals!